3.5.12

Postmodern Poetry

Postmodern poetry is the means I have held to not only in writing The Fleur-de-lis, but in exploring with poetry many realities and characters with their own viewpoints, narratives and soliloquy.

I was overwhelmed at the many genres and styles I was working with in writing this book, but how they came together and it became one vast collection is more in the editing process and skilled editorial guidance than anything. I was awed at the result and its genius from my publisher and editors.

Of the postmodern genre: I am developing a fascination for  understanding its fragmented narrative and undermining of its own author's credibility. To quote: "Both modern and postmodern literature represent a break from 19th century realism. In character development, both modern and postmodern literature explore subjectivism,  turning from external reality to examine inner states of consciousness..."


My use of irony, playfulness with words and black humor have yet to be discussed... for example "Thistle In A Vase"... in reference to Vincent van Gogh, whom I learned in a televised documentary married a prostitute. This use of irony, by immortalizing the thistle for example, as van Gogh would do in his painting is further played out as a theme throughout the third volume, whereupon it is also Scotland's national flower. There is the "Order of the Thistle"...  a depiction of a poet being hard-pressed and persecuted. I think in all, the end point of my book will attest to the fact that persecution and ridicule can bring out the best in oneself, particularly through the refining process of suffering. I have tried to paint suffering as a redemptive quality, but this breaks from modern day comfort and convenience as being deserved by those who buy...  and the book definitely came out as a middle class item, decadent, antique-themed, reminiscent and romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment